Monday, May 17, 2010

The last year

As my time winds down here in Spain, I've been reflecting on the last year and wondering what it is that I've learned and have yet to realize I've learned. After reading my dear friend's recent blog entry, I've decided to write a recap on the last year of my life.

Since last May, I have:
  • packed my suitcases probably 10 times and am packing them again, as we speak. I've been to Italy, Portland, New Mexico, New York, Ireland, India, and Portugal (in that order)... and have yet to go to France, Germany, and northern Spain, as long as the volcano doesn't keep smoking.
  • learned enough Spanish to sleep-talk in it.
  • been with my parents to India for the first time since 1983 for my grandfather's funeral. It was life-changing, to say the least.
  • become a kitchen-scientist, experimenting mostly with home-blended masala mixes, Indian flatbreads, and curries.
  • gained a new appreciation for fresh fruits and vegetables, and have learned to live without every meal being spicy.
  • been humbled by the sea every time I see it. I can hear it from my window.
  • recorded very little music, but continue writing it and hoping to develop it.
  • felt like I'm entering a new phase of my life.
  • formed a love-hate relationship with this country and hope to leave each other with mutual respect and affection.
  • had internal struggles, and now believe more strongly than ever the saying, "Wherever you go, there you are."
  • had the pleasure of getting to know some quirky, magical, and wonderful people. There's one person, especially, who has been the most integral part of my last 2 years here.
  • been deeply disappointed with the lack of teaching jobs in the U.S., only to have the realization that this is an opportunity to do something radically different with my life. My vision: to start an Indian food cart in Portland. The question is not how, but when.
  • wondered if love can wait for one more year.
Oh, myself of 27 years, what will this year bring? My heart and palms are open.

No comments: